Montag, 30. November 2015

Defiant – “Morbid Spiritual Illness” author by Alek






And so it begins... In front of me and my ears is a very interesting album from the croatian death metal band “Defiant”. If you wonder about the genre of their music, it’s easy, either you know them from quite some time or you will enter their circle right now. I’ll sum it up as a death metal with very smooth and smart flows of black metal atmosphere. The release is fresh from the Miner Records bakery, it saw its light of the day back in october. 
The album opens with a very “nervy” intro and suddenly blows into the first whisper of the album, “Origen”. “Origen” comes in a brutalish and rusty form leaving my ears irritated but in a positive way. It moves the tension just to prepare you for what is about to come in “Padurea Neagra”. I love the bass guitar which does not hide behind the guitars, that’s about a great sign for my taste. Now, behold “Aeons of Erebus”!!! This is where the the band comes to the heterogenic musical expression, drum and bass part with acoustic guitar. And you are already in their way and they pull you with them with the cruel “Har Sinai” (just in case you were left behind). From “Flesh is Nothing” the band suddenly throws some classical metal riffs into their expression and you are starting to think, what else will happen till the end. It’s not my intention to reveal every single detail of the album but my intention is to get you into this great work of metal. There are two songs that step up here, “The Gospel of Ninevah” and “Elusive Serpent” that in some way show the wider musical aspect of Defiant’s espression.
This is my first meeting with “Defiant” and hope not the last. I very much appreciate bands that (not know in a technical manner) manage to flow naturally from genre to genre, from influence to atmosphere, and “Defiant” are just doing it smoothly. I also like what is noticeable from far distance, and that’s the critical approach in the lyrics of the whole spirituality concept. Misanthropic views of people’s fake spiritual idols. I hold on to the point that death metal (and metal in general) must have a message written! You guys have it!
And my “Chordes...” not to remain “...empty” I must admit that I was expecting to hear some solos in their music. Seemed like inevitable. There are many very dinamyc atmospheric parts that could’ve been strongly fulfilled with some solos. “Morbid Spiritual Illness” is by far not a hibrid album, it’s pretty much wide in a death metal sense, but c’mon, let us hear some solos in near future that will pull us out of this “...Spiritual Illness” and will bring us to a new “Gospel...” or “Ellusive Serpent”. And the last thing that could go as an advice is maybe on the next album they should start thinking about dirty-er and more massive sound. I hope that will pull the best out of this crew. 
All in all it was a great death metal travelling through “Morbid Spiritual Illness”!!!
Rating: 8.5/10

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen